Supta Vajrasana redirects the sexual energy to the brain.Therefore it is an ideal pose for those looking to achieve spiritual aims.The Sanskrit name Supta Vajrasana is derived from three words.
Supta = lying down
Vajra = excessively firm
Asana = posture
There are several benefits of practicing Supta Vajrasana regularly. Before you practice, it is important to know the right alignment of the body in a pose. So first educate yourself about the steps to practice Supta Vajrasana correctly.
Steps to practice Supta Vajrasana (Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose)
Starting Position: Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
- From Vajrasana, slowly begin to move the trunk backward.
- Place the right elbow on the floor carefully followed by forearm. Repeat the same with the left arm.
- Utilizing the support of the arms, slowly place the crown of the head on the ground. Arch the back upwards.
- Rest the hands to the side of your feet. Balance the body in this position.
- Ideally, the knees touch the ground in the final position. Try to do so but without forcing the body. With regular practice, it comes easily.
- Close the eyes, take slow and deep breaths. Relax the whole body.
- Retain the pose for a few seconds.
- To return, take the support of the arms and elbows to come back in the starting position.
- Relax the body in Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose).
There is a slight difference in this variation.
- Repeat step 1 of the above variation.
- Utilizing the support of forearms, place the head on the floor. Arch the back upwards.
- Fold both the arms and place them on the floor next to your head.
- Try to keep the knees on the ground throughout the practice.
- Repeat step 5-7 of the above variation.
- Gradually increase the time of holding the pose with day to day practice.
Always practice a forward bending pose after a backward bending pose, or vice versa. It neutralize the stress on spinal muscles.Therefore, it is recommended to follow Shashankasana (Rabbit Pose) after Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose.
Precautions for Supta Vajrasana (Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose)
- Pregnant women must avoid practicing Supta Vajrasana.
- To release the pose, never straighten the legs first. That may result into dislocation of the knee joints.
- This pose is not meant to be practiced by the people suffering from: sciatica, neck and knee problems, spine ailments, slipped disc.
Benefits of Supta Vajrasana (Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose)
- Makes the spine flexible and tones spinal nerves.
- Correct rounded shoulders consequently improving body posture.
- Divert sexual energy to the brain therefore helps to achieve spiritual gains.
- Delivers a high amount of the oxygen into the lungs preventing lung disorders.
- Loosen up the legs thus act as preparatory pose for other meditative poses.
- Relieve constipation and digestive ailments by massaging the abdominal organs.
- Beneficial for those who suffer from lung ailments such as bronchitis and asthma.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Don’t forget to share the post with your friends and family if you enjoyed reading the article.
Thanks for reading.Visit again.