Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose) is both relaxation and meditation yoga asana having calming effects on mind and body. It is an excellent pose for yoga beginners as it is quite easy as compared to other meditative poses.
The Sanskrit name Vajrasana is derived from two words. Vajra meaning thunderbolt or diamond and Asana meaning posture. According to Hindu mythology, Vajra is the name of Lord Indira’s (God of Heaven) weapon which was as hard as a diamond. For this reason it is also known as Diamond Pose.
One of the major nerves in the human body is also named Vajra Nadi (Nadi means nerve). Vajra nadi is connected with genitourinary system which is responsible for regulating sexual energy in human body. Hence practicing this yoga pose for extended duration of time may make a person control his/her sexual energy for spiritual aims.
You will be surprised to know that you can practice this yoga pose right after having your meal.Yes! This is the only yoga pose that you can practice right after lunch or dinner. It actually makes the digestion process faster. It is also quite helpful in getting rid of constipation or any other stomach related problems.
Steps to practice Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
- Kneel on your yoga mat keeping the knees close together.
- Big toes must be touching each other while heel remains separate.
- Lower the body placing your buttocks in the space between both of your feet.
- Heels must be touching the sides of your hips.
- Place the palm of your hands on the thighs (or knees).
- Keep the spine and head straight and relaxed.
- Be careful about your spine arching backward excessively.
- Close your eyes and relax the whole body while breathing normally.
- Be aware of each and every breath moving in and out of the body.
Stay in the pose for at least a minute. Vajrasana is most beneficial when followed by some breathing exercises.
Precautions for Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
Avoid practicing Vajrasana if you suffer from any of this condition: recent knee injury or severe pain in knees, pain in ankles or joint pain.
Benefits of Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
- Strengthens pelvic muscles by altering the blood flow in pelvic region.
- Improves digestion and combats constipation, indigestion and acidity.
- Stimulates spinal nerves; corrects rounded back and drooping shoulders.
- Regulates the functioning of reproductive organs and thyroid gland.
- Beneficial for people suffering from sciatica.
- Helpful in curing menstrual disorders.
- Useful for attaining spiritual gains and peace of mind.
- Regular practice of Vajrasana rejuvenates the whole body.
- Relieves piles and stomach disorders such as peptic ulcer, hyper acidity.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Like this post? If yes, then don’t forget to share it with your friends and family.
Here are few hand-picked article for you:
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose) steps, precautions & benefits.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose) steps, benefits & precautions.
- Purvottanasana (Upward Plank Pose) steps, precautions & benefits.
- Marjariasana (Cat Stretch Pose) steps, precautions & benefits.
Please feel free to ask and suggest anything in the comments.
Thanks for reading. Visit again.