Yoga improves flexibility, body shape and cures many physical diseases but little did people know that it is an effective tool to improve mental health as well. This is because the yoga asanas not only relate to the body but also to the mind. Some asanas provide instant relaxation, while others provide relief with time.
Depression, stress, anxiety, etc., all are related to the mind. These diseases are curable, but many people don’t know how to cure them because of little awareness. With yoga, you can completely avoid such problems and live a happy life. Before getting to know the yoga poses, let’s tell you in-depth about depression.
What is Depression?
Depression is a very common but serious medical condition that can negatively affect how you feel, act, or think. Luckily, it is a treatable condition. Depression brings feelings of unhappiness and disinterest in things you loved once. It can affect your day-to-day life by causing many physical and emotional issues.
The symptoms of depression can include:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Disinterest in your hobbies
- Self-doubt or feeling unworthy
- Difficulty in focusing
- Fatigue or Tired
- Sudden weight loss or gain
How does yoga therapy work?
Yoga therapy involves meditation and breathing activities in a session. Studies show that this combination of exercises very much helps in reducing heart rate, decreasing stress-producing chemicals, and reducing blood pressure.
The therapeutic advantage of yoga therapy comes when a session is specially focused on bringing balance through meditation, posture, and breathing exercises. These three activities bring instant relaxation.
What are the pros and cons of yoga therapy?
Here are the pros and cons that come with yoga therapy:
- Takes less time
- A great detoxing tool
- Big stress buster
- Helps is lose weight naturally
- No complex outfit or gear
- Acts as a natural therapy
- Great workout both mentally and physically
- Certain ethics are not pleased by everyone
- May result in physical injury
- Lack of availability
- Lack of experienced instructors
- Needs efforts
Yoga Poses That Can Help to cure depression
Yoga has been proven to cure depression, and here are the 8 yoga poses for depression to help cure and prevent it:
- Shishuasana (Child Pose)
This pose is famous for bringing calmness to one’s body. When you practice this pose daily, you can cure symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Kneel down by sitting on your heels, toes touching each other.
- Your knees should be hip-width apart and hands placed above the knees.
- Touch your face to the ground by bending your torso forward.
- Bring your hands forward towards your face, and your palms should be facing downwards, touching the ground.
- Stay the same for a few mins.
Recommended Post –
- Yoga Poses to Ease Arthritis and Its Symptoms
- Effective Yoga Poses to Increase Stamina
- Effective Yoga Asanas to Increase Height
- Halasana (Plow Pose)
Halasana stretches your back, your mind feels relaxed and decreases stress. When you practice this pose, your brain gets oxygenated blood that helps manage depression and anxiety.
- Keep your arms on the sides of your body, lie on your back.
- Slowly lift your legs at a 90-degree angle upwards.
- Support your hips using your hand and bring them towards your chest.
- Now slowly bring your legs over your head, your toes touching the ground far off your head.
- Keep your thighs straight, so they don’t touch your head.
- Place your arms on the ground, palms touching the ground.
- Savasana (Corpse Pose)
This pose helps in relaxing and rejuvenating your body. In addition, it gives rest to your mind and body and reduces high blood pressure.
- Lie on your back on the ground.
- Keep your feet slightly apart.
- Your arms should be resting on the ground with the palms facing the roof.
- Slowly close your eyes and relax.
Recommended Post –
- Yoga for Back Pain: Helps to Soothe Lower Back Pain
- Effective Yoga Asanas for Weight Gain
- Yoga Asanas to Instant Energy
- Yoga Asanas that will Give you a Flat Tummy
- Sarvangasana – Shoulder stand
This is a great pose for treating depression and anxiety. It helps in balancing emotions and bringing clarity to your mind by increasing blood flow.
- Follow the first two steps of Halasana.
- Support your hips through your hands and lift them towards the sky.
- Take deep breaths in between and feel your straight body.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-facing Dog Pose)
This pose helps in circulating blood all over the body. It releases stress off the spine and neck by stretching them and lets fresh blood flow into your body.
- Convert your body into a table-like posture.
- Now align your knees and elbows straight, slowly lifting your hips upward.
- Press your palms on the ground firmly and keep your neck straight.
- Keep eye contact with your navel, and your inner arms should touch your ears.
Recommended Post –
- Can Yoga Reduce High Blood Pressure
- Yoga for Kids: Yoga Poses and Their Benefits
- Yoga for Acne and Pimples
- Yoga for Weight Loss: Asanas to Burn Fat Seamlessly
- Benefits of Yoga and Diseases it can Cure
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
This pose opens up space around your heart. It is a helpful pose for people suffering from depression.
- Lie on your back, arms on the ground, and palms facing downwards.
- Slowly lift your hips and legs, bend the knees.
- Keep your knees and angles in a parallel line.
- Now lift your back from the floor too.
- Stay in the pose for some minutes.
- Trikonasana – Triangle pose
This pose makes you feel more balanced and relaxed, both physically and mentally. It lets you think more sensibly and clearly.
- Keep your legs apart while standing straight.
- Slide your right arm down your right leg at the same time until your fingertips touch your ankle.
- Keep your left arm in a horizontal way. Breathe.
- Repeat the same with another side.
- Virabhadrasana – Warrior pose
Individuals doing this pose feel a sense of self-confidence coming to them. It helps in gathering courage and letting go of lower self-esteem.
- Stand with your legs and arms wide apart, at least 3-4 feet.
- Turn your left foot 15 degrees your right foot by 90 degrees. Turn your head to your right.
- Slowly bend your right knee.
- Do the same with the left side.
- Keep breathing.
People have been practicing yoga for depression for a very long time. It has been said to improve many lives and bring many positive changes. If you’re experiencing symptoms of depression and anxiety or your loved ones are suffering from such a disease, we hope you find relief soon through yoga. We hope the best for you.