Advance Cobra Pose is an advance backward bending yoga pose. Its Sanskrit name Purna Bhujangasana is derived from three words.The first Purna means Advance, the second Bhujanga means Cobra and the third Asana means Posture. Practicing Advance Cobra Pose strengthens the spine therefore making it as strong as that of a cobra. It is highly beneficial in curing all spine related problems. Along with it there are several other benefits of Purna Bhujangasana. Let’s begin by knowing the steps to practice Purna Bhujangasana.
Steps to practice Purna Bhujangasana (Advance Cobra Pose)
Before practicing Purna Bhujangasana ensure that you have mastered Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose).
It is very important to know the right alignment of the body in an asana to avoid any kind of injury and to attain the maximum benefits of it. Here are the steps to practice Purna Bhujangasana correctly:
- Inhale a deep breath and assume the final position of Cobra Pose.
- Hold the position and take a few normal breaths.
- Exhale the breath and raise both the feet while bending the knees.
- Stretch the head, neck and shoulders backward.
- Try to touch the crown of the head with the toes or the soles of the feet.
- Hold in the same position for as long as you find it comfortable, breathing normally.
- Come back to the starting position by lowering the feet.
- For a few seconds, relax in Bhujangasana.
- Release the pose and relax in Makarasana (Crocodile Pose).
- Relax till the breathing and the heartbeat return to normal.
Practice up to 3 times.This asana is most beneficial when followed by a forward bending asana.
Precautions for Purna Bhujangasana (Advance Cobra Pose)
The precautions for Purna Bhujangasana to be kept in mind are given below:
- Avoid straining and stretching the body beyond the limits as it may cause unnecessary pain.
- Avoid practicing this asana if one’s body is very stiff or if one is having a weak back, weak joints or weak heart.
- People suffering from any of this condition should avoid practicing this asana: Back pain, high blood pressure, joint pain, hernia, hyperthyroidism, spinal disorders, ulcer, intestinal tuberculosis or cervical spondylitis.
Benefits of Purna Bhujangasana (Advance Cobra Pose)
The health benefits of Purna Bhujangasana are as follows :
- Add strength to the spine making it supple and healthy.
- Improves the digestion and helpful in relieving epigastric pain.
- Tones the female reproductive organs, especially the ovaries and uterus.
- Improves the blood circulation in the body.
- Corrects hunched back therefore improves body posture.
- Stretches and strengthens the muscles of the body.
- Tones and massages the abdominal organs.
- Improves the functioning of liver and kidneys.
- Removes excess fat from the body therefore helps to get rid of extra weight.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Like this post? If yes, then don’t forget to share it with your friends and family.
Here are few hand-picked articles for you:
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose) steps, precautions & benefits.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose) steps, benefits & precautions.
- Purvottanasana (Upward Plank Pose) steps, precautions & benefits.
- Marjariasana (Cat Stretch Pose) steps, precautions & benefits.
- Yoga Asanas that will Give you a Flat Tummy
Please feel free to ask and suggest anything in the comment section.
Thanks for reading. Visit again.