Urine therapy known as ‘Amaroli’ or ‘Shivambu’ in Yoga is a method of self-healing by digesting one’s own urine. People all over the world have been practicing urine therapy for thousands of years. The potential of drinking urine has been recognized, practiced and experienced by numerous peoples for centuries. A few of them had advocated the benefits of urine to spread the knowledge to those who were not aware of it. Some well-known practitioners of urine therapy such as J.W Armstrong, guided and treated thousands of people who were suffering from minor to major illness and even noncurable disease such as cancer. Armstrong saved his own life by staying on urine fast for 45 days and pulled himself out of the final stage of T.B which was incurable at that time. Image Source
Drinking urine is not specifically for those who have some kind of illness or disease. This ancient technique of securing the health may be adopted by a healthy person as well. Urine is by no means harmful to the body. Rather it is completely sterile as well as antiseptic. Most of us think that urination is a process of eliminating all the liquid waste from the body. But actually, the components of the urine contain 95% water, 2.5 % urea and the remaining 2.5% is a mixture of salts, minerals, hormones and enzymes. The properties of Urine makes it completely safe for consumption after following a recommended diet.
There are a few simple things that you need to keep in mind before trying out this miraculous method of natural healing. There are two methods through which Urine therapy is carried out. In the first method, you massage your own urine on the body. The second method is drinking fresh morning urine. Take a look at what else you should know.
How to practice Urine Therapy
- The first thing you need to change before you go for urine therapy is your diet. A diet of fresh fruits, boiled or baked vegetables, boiled pulses, vegetable soup, rice and dry fruits in small quantities (soaked in water overnight) is recommended.
- Follow a fix a time for eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. Once you maintain a healthy diet you will already notice a slight improvement in your health.
- If you are going through some kind of medication, it is better to start with urine massage on the body. Avoid urine therapy while being on medication.
- Avoid consumption of any harmful thing such as alcohol, cigarette, oily/ fried or baked eatables. The non-vegetarian diet must be strictly excluded. Tea and coffee must be avoided as well.
- The best way to start urine therapy is while being on water fast. No fruit and no juices only water. Go for a water fast a day before you start urine therapy if possible. Take rest and do not engage in activities that are hard on your body.
- Collect your first urine of the morning. Take a cup or glass that is sufficient enough. Let the first few drops of urine pass without any disruption, collect the midstream urine. Leave out the last stream.
- Drink your urine within a few minutes of its collection. If you notice positive results within a week, you may gradually drink 2 to 3 glass, if you suffer from any kind of disease. Otherwise, one glass of fresh morning urine is enough for daily consumption.
- If you want to start with massaging, store it in a big glass container. Continue to collect your urine for a few days (till afternoon) until there is enough to massage on the whole body. Age it for at least 4 days to use it later. You may store it for 7 days before bringing in use.
- People with weak heart or low blood pressure shall start with a very little amount of urine. They should not consume more than a glass of urine.
- Do not eat or drink anything before and after an hour of drinking urine.
It takes different time for each individual to recover from the disease. The severity, history of the disease, your age and many other factors play a significant role in recovery. Though one can easily notice a difference within a week when practiced right, along with healthy diet. For better knowledge of urine therapy refer to the books: ‘Miracles of Urine Therapy’ by Morarji Desai, ‘The Water of Life’ by John W. Armstrong and ‘Natural Benefits of Urine Therapy’ by Jagdish R Bhurani. The first one I found the most useful among the three.
In my opinion, if health really matters to you; you will not hesitate to try it out. Rather it will give you new hopes to experience again how it feels to be pain-free. How it feels to be able to put your best in everything. How it feels the way you used to when you had the freedom to engage in any physical activity. It is definitely worth trying urine therapy. Live the life you deserve to live. Give your body the love, care and respect it deserves.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading.
- All about the Practice (Yoga)
- 5 Yoga Poses to relieve constipation
- The Effects of Surya Namaskar Sequence
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) Sequence step by step guide
- 6 Yoga Poses to Ease Menstrual Cramps