Swastikasana is a meditation posture widely known as Auspicious Pose. It is an excellent alternative to padmasana or any other meditation pose that you struggle sitting in. It is also known to be the simplified version of Siddhasana. The name Swastikasana is derived from the Sanskrit language. ‘Swastika’ is an ancient religious icon that symbolizes auspiciousness and prosperity. In yoga, this symbol represents the common centre of consciousness.
Starting Position: Dandasana (Staff Pose), sit with the legs outstretched in front with the feet together. Keep the back, neck and head straight and comfortable. Place the hands on the side of your body. Keep the palms faced down resting on the floor behind the buttocks. Relax the whole body.
- Slightly distance your legs from each other.
- Gently bend the left knee placing the sole of the left foot facing the inside of the right inner thigh. The heel must not touch the perineum.
- Bend the right knee placing the right foot in between the calf muscle and left thigh. Right heel must not touch the pubis.
- Insert the toes of the left foot in the space between right thigh and calf muscles.
- Make adjustments to make yourself feel better. The knees must be in firm contact with the floor.
- Pay attention to the spine, keep it straight. Place the palms of the hands on the knees. Relax the whole body.
Note: Don’t force yourself in the pose, bend the knees only as far as it feels comfortable.
Swastikasana Variation 2
This variation is easier than the above one and useful for people with stiff body.
- Follow the steps 1 to 3 of the above variation.
- Bend the right knee placing the right foot on the floor in front of the left foot. The sole must face against the left shin.
- Both the heels must be in front of each other now. The position of the hands will be similar to above variation.
Avoid practicing Swastikasana if you suffer from Sciatica or any kind of sacral infection.
- Swastikasana is easy as compared to another meditative yoga asanas.
- Useful for people suffering from varicose veins or aching legs muscles.
- Beneficial for those having fluid retention in the legs.
Stay healthy stay strong and get the best out of life.
Thanks for reading.